Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sask Alley Cat Allies-Display Cancelled Due To An Emergency

cat smoking[Funny+Cat+Smoking+Wallpaper2222.jpg]It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that SACA is under attack by the both the Saskatchewan and Saskatoon SPCAs. They did, sometime during the 12th of January 2011, willfully break in to the shelter in Elrose while knowing volunteers were busy in Saskatoon at a display for the cats. They broke the back door right off its frame like you see in a drug bust. Five SPCA staff and one vet on their payroll then determined the shelter was not up to their standards and the animals should be removed immediately. I beat myself up imagining the fear of these cats, running away from these loud strangers, looking for places to hide. With nets, gloves and rabies poles, the animals were hunted down over a period of hours. Furniture was tipped over with no regard to its value, litter boxes tipped over along with water dishes. The sick animals in quarantine kennels had no chance of escape and were shoved into kennels with no care to their conditions.
My dog Jasper, in the outdoor run, would have been the first to be shoved into a cage in the back of the their vehicles. Barking with fear, not knowing who these strangers were or where I was to protect him.
As I got home later that night, you can imagine the horror as I walk into my home to find it ransacked. On the counter was a note from the SPCA. "We were here and have your animals. You have 3 days to get them back or they will be killed as is our right." I was in shock. Surely they couldn't do this, it wasn't right. But right or wrong, it happened. As I walked down stairs I looked at more devastation and damage - tipped over litter boxes, spilled water dishes, boxes and storage containers along with scratching posts and cat condos piled into large piles. The basement door, not able to close completely as drywall, insulation and framing stuck out from the walls or laid on the floor nearby.
A few cats had managed to escape and snuck out from their hiding places. Fear and confusion were in their eyes. They didn't understand anymore than I did how this could have happened. We could only huddle together for comfort as the shock of the situation sank in. The SPCA for years has been trying to remove the competition, but I always believed justice would prevail. It was determined the following day that the stolen animals were in Saskatoon. I was told had 3 days to pay the fine of $10,000 to get them back or they could be killed after Monday. Some of the animals that were with me have already been adopted but they too cannot go back to their owners without sharing in the fine.
According to them they believe the animals were in distress. The 7 turtles (over 30 years old) were taken as well as the 5 foot igauna Chubchub who has lived with me for 12 years.
Many of you have adopted or seen our animals for adoption, some shall we say on the full figure side. Did they seem distressed? Earlier in December some of the donated cat food may have been contaminated and this caused a mass outbreak of diarrhea. As 2010 was the busiest ever for Alley Cats with record numbers of cats and kittens coming in, I must admit to being a bit overwhelmed. Not all the cats were making it to the litter boxes and not all the messes could be cleaned immediately. The first priority when I was home was to clean kennels for the worst infected, medicate and keep the cats supplied with food and water at all times. This included the wild cats in runs outside. The turtle tank was cleaned mid-December as well, yet the SPCA said they didn't think the water looked clear enough to them. Even though it is an 180 gallon tank, I can see right down to the bottom. Perhaps their eyesight is not so good. Dishes and laundry had fallen behind.
I've asked to show them which cats are being medicated for what, but they will not let me into their shelter to see or comfort the animals including my dog Jasper. They said my opinion was of no value to them and a vet would determine who got treated for what.
I have met with lawyers and will attempt to get an injunction to prevent the SPCA from killing any of the animals. This matter will cost a lot of money, but I believe these animals are worth it. I have always said an animal doesn't die because he has to but because no one cared if he lived. Do you care? Will your life be disturbed if these animals get put down. Will you feel good about yourself if you help them? Do you support Alley Cats and what they stand for or do you agree with the SPCA and their right? We need help now, I can't fight this battle on my own. The future of SACA is up to you. I feel dead inside from all this, but I will find the strength somehow if you will help me. This is our 15th year and we have rescued over 5,000 cats and have put down less than 5%. Does that mean anything? The SPCA kills 75% of their animals every year, will these cats be just another victim in their long list? There is only a couple days left. Please let me know if you can help. God help us all.
Dolores La Plante
306-378-2524

Saskatchewan Alley Cat Allies
1996 - 2010http://www.saskalleycats.ca/ 
K Jans said...
I would just like to say that everything written here absolutely disgusts me. I live in Elrose and the SPCA was justified and then some in going into Dolores' home WITH A WARRANT! and removing those poor animals. for 1 she had way to many animals in that cramped tiny home and she was fasting her cats because of lack of food. If someone wouldn't feed 1 animal in their house cause of lack of food the spca would come in to our place too. this was not an attack, but a rescue! If you could see the conditions of the house or "shelter" as Dolores put it, you would be in udder disgust. the smell of feces and urine in the air and on a breezy day can be smelt all around town. the garbage and litter boxes piled up out side is disgusting. I imagine now with all the newpeople showing up at her place for an interview today, she will have been attempting to clean, but that smell will be in the house still. She's had people that needed to get into her house to do something and they had to wear hazmat suits, so you tell me if thats a suitable environment for sheltering animals. I think not.

2 comments:

  1. I would just like to say that everything written here absolutely disgusts me. I live in Elrose and the SPCA was justified and then some in going into Dolores' home WITH A WARRANT! and removing those poor animals. for 1 she had way to many animals in that cramped tiny home and she was fasting her cats because of lack of food. If someone wouldn't feed 1 animal in their house cause of lack of food the spca would come in to our place too. this was not an attack, but a rescue!
    If you could see the conditions of the house or "shelter" as Dolores put it, you would be in udder disgust. the smell of feces and urine in the air and on a breezy day can be smelt all around town. the garbage and litter boxes piled up out side is disgusting. I imagine now with all the newpeople showing up at her place for an interview today, she will have been attempting to clean, but that smell will be in the house still.
    She's had people that needed to get into her house to do something and they had to wear hazmat suits, so you tell me if thats a suitable environment for sheltering animals. I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bullshit...they had no right. The SPCA has DISAPPOINTED me and MANY OTHERS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete