Monday, January 9, 2012

Statement from Leonard Peltier: From behind the iron door

December 18th 2011: 13,099 days of wrongful imprisonment

By Leonard Peltier
December 31, 2011
Leonard Peltier
Photo: Leonard Peltier Defense Committee
Sunday, December 18, 2011
Hau Kola.
Greetings my friends, relatives, relations, supporters.
I wrote a statement the other day sitting here in my cell and I know that no one really cares to read something that is 6 pages long. So this is my effort to shorten it a little bit.
The first subject I want to touch on is being in prison for 36 years is hell. There are some folks who are planning to walk across America starting in California going to Washington D.C. to bring attention to the injustice that faces Indian people in the judicial system of America and of which I am some of the evidence of that. But first of all what I really want to say is I really appreciate and love the people that do things like this for those of us who are imprisoned. And if walking across America sounds like a lot try standing in an 8 by 6 cell for 36 years. But I want you to know as terrible and painful as this is in a strange way I am honored that the most powerful government has considered me a challenge that they would violate all their own laws to keep me imprisoned. In my standing I have stood for what’s right. I have stood for the right of a people invaded by emissaries of the corporations they ultimately represent; the right of a people to defend themselves in whatever way necessary to defend their women and children and elders and life itself when attacked with deadly force by this government...Continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment