Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dr. Seuss Was a Cancer Patient, Too....

image
By , March 2, 2012  About.com Guide : As you may well know, especially if you have school age children, today is Dr. Seuss's birthday. As one of America's greatest children's book authors, Dr. Seuss taught us great lessons through his tongue-tying limericks. Even today in my adulthood, Dr. Seuss's words continue to not only make me laugh, but inspire me. One of my favorite quotes from Dr. Seuss has inspired many cancer patients when beginning their cancer journey:
"I've heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead, and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. And I'm all ready, you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me."
Theodore Geisel, who we all know as Dr. Seuss, was no stranger to cancer. He died of throat cancer in 1991 at age 81. There isn't much known about his diagnosis or his treatment, but I have to wonder how a man with such a wonderful imagination coped with his disease. Was he inspired by his own words as we continue to be?
I have many great memories reading his books, from being a child and hiding under blankets with a flashlight while reading Fox in Socks so many times that my tongue would go numb to holding my children in my arms while reading The Cat in the Hat. I am certain many of you share similar memories. Today as we celebrate his birthday (I will be taking my kids to see The Lorax!) remember him not only for literacy genius, but also as a cancer fighter.Read here.

The Cat In The Hat by Dr Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment