Tuesday, June 26, 2012

She shoots wildfire photos amid the flames


Flames turn night into day along a road this month during New Mexico's Little Bear Fire at Lincoln National Forest. Flames turn night into day along a road this month during New Mexico's Little Bear Fire at Lincoln National Forest.        By Jim Spellman, CNN
Ruidoso, New Mexico (CNN) -- For 15 years Kari Greer has been documenting wildland fires and the men and woman who battle them.
"I'm a trained firefighter; photography is my tool," she says. "It's my service on the line."
In college Greer studied photography but spent her summers fighting wildland fires as a seasonal firefighter. After graduation it was an easy fit to combine her two skill sets.
"The bug bit, and I developed a kind of passion for it." Wildfire photographer works amid chaos
She now photographs fires from the front lines under contract with the National Interagency Fire Center, the federal outfit that supports wildland firefighting efforts.
\
"My whole focus is to show the activity -- what's going on," says Greer. "I feel the heat, I feel the smoke."

No comments:

Post a Comment