Sunday, February 23, 2014

Tribute to Mormor my pet Ostrich - RIP

camelsandfriends camelsandfriends
February 18th

I am deeply saddened to tell you that Mormor the ostrich has passed away. Words cannot describe how devastated I am. Raising ostrich chicks are very difficult, but raising him with his crippling disability was even tougher. I was always concerned he would not survive onto adulthood, but I started becoming more optimistic as he was just over nine months when he passed.

For those that don't know, Mormor developed incorrectly within his egg. He was positioned wrong, causing his spine to twist inward. During the first few weeks of raising him the kinked neck was barely noticeable, but progressed to the point that his normal activities became difficult.

He could not reach to properly groom himself and I assisted him by hand. He also recently became unable to eat directly from the feeding tray, which was replaced successfully with a raised feeder.

I believe he was happy despite his crippling disability and I can only be grateful he was able to experience nine peaceful months of life. I purchased my ostrich chicks from a production ranch that sells for slaughter, so he most certainly would have been immediately culled.

But I am still in shock from the experience of finding him dead out in the pasture at their routine first feeding. When I saw him not moving on the ground I knew at once he was gone. It was a horrible feeling. He was my baby that I raised from a small ten inch chick to a six foot tall massive bird. I watched them closely like my own children and it kills me that he died despite my best efforts.

Upon examining him, he died of a broken neck, which I imagine could have happened with the slightest misstep. It is still difficult for me to write this and it has been a few days since his passing.

Sniper (his ostrich companion) seemed distressed at first, but once I removed Mormor out of sight, he had calmed down and is now flocking closely with the emu. I do believe that Sniper would benefit from a same species companion, but unfortunately it is not hatching time and aside from that a similar age or a few month old chick would be a more ideal match. Regrettably, I know of none, but I'm keeping a close watch. I never agree with keeping social species alone, but the emu surrogates should be helpful for him now.

I am so sorry to tell you all this, I loved him very much. I could cry again just thinking about it, but I know with raising animals there will always be heartbreak. Only 10% of ostrich chicks make it to five months old and with his birth defect I should have prepared myself better emotionally.

I took him to be cremated, so that he can have a proper resting place.

I will continue my search for a suitable mate for Sniper, but because of their high mortality rate, ostriches around Sniper's age are quite expensive. With the fencing paddocks I am currently constructing it may be some time before I can afford to purchase one if I cannot find one for adoption (which is unlikely).

Thank you for joining me on this journey of raising Mormor and Sniper, it's been some of the most challenging yet rewarding experience since I began working with animals. Ostriches are very special and Mormor was no exception.

Rest in peace now, you beautiful soul. I am so sorry there was nothing i could do for you. I would do anything to go back to when he was still in the egg and just maybe tipping it slightly in another direction could have allowed for proper development.

Please keep Sniper in your thoughts, they were very close. I think Fig and Kabul will help to care for him in the mean time.

Goodbye, Mormor, you were loved by many. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s08DkVa9A0&feature=em-subs_digest

No comments:

Post a Comment