By Neil Macdonald, CBC News
A man who lost his relatives in a Saudi-led airstrike cries in Yemen's
capital Sanaa on Sept. 21, 2015. Canada has sold Saudi Arabia billions
of dollars' worth of light-armoured vehicles and has had little to say
about its customer's attacks in Yemen, which the UN says have killed and
wounded hundreds of children. (Khaled Abdullah/Reuters)
For the record, Stéphane Dion's office says he has so far been
unable to find any evidence that the Saudi military is using lethal
Canadian weapons platforms to slaughter civilians.
Hence, billions of dollars' worth of weaponized armoured vehicles
manufactured in Ontario are flowing as planned to the Saudis, despite
Dion's stern warning in April that: "Should I become aware of credible information of violations related
to this equipment, I will suspend or revoke the permits" that he had
"We are watching this closely," he said, "and will continue to do so."
Asked this week how Dion's monitoring has been carried out, his press
secretary, Chantal Gagnon, replied: "Several ways. On the ground, you
know, we have people. An embassy in Saudi Arabia."
Well, there's that, then.
But perhaps Dion should put in a call to the United Nations, where
Canada is lobbying so strenuously to become a more influential player.
If he did, he would find there's evidence to suggest the Saudis are
carrying out war crimes in neighbouring Yemen, never mind using their
security forces to crush internal dissent...http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/saudi-arabia-arms-deal-canada-macdonald-1.3810952
Related: Ordeal never stops : the lashes punishment will restart inside the Saudi prison’ s walls