Thursday, April 18, 2013

Boston Marathon snapshots take on new meaning

by Lauren Crabbe:
I took this photo at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Everywhere you looked, people were taking photos with phones, point-and-shoots and DSLRs.
When I was snapping photos at the finish line for the Boston Marathon, I had no idea that there could be bombs at my feet.
It was my last day in Boston after a long weekend and I was three hours away from getting on a plane to head back to San Francisco. I decided to check out the event after hearing my Bostonian friends and family rave about the Patriot Day activities.
I used my iPhone to snap a few photos of my Boston observations: a gorgeous church at the finish line, a little girl on her mother’s shoulders as she took photos with mommy’s smartphone, and finally, a wide panorama shot from my spot at the race’s final stretch...While it’s not surprising that civilian photos are being used in an FBI investigation, the potential amount of raw footage under review may be unprecedented. The general public has collectively captured the event in high resolution and can send the data instantly to the authorities. The ubiquitous camera phone and the popularity of the social networks we use to share our photographs has us all recording and broadcasting more than ever before. The advent of new life logging devices and wearable tech like Google Glass is sure to increase this even further. And though we often question and consider what these advances mean for photography and our society in terms of personal privacy, recent events also highlight their potential role in public security.Read here. .
Google Glass: what you need to knowGoogle Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment