Tuesday, March 22, 2016

"If you repent," the Parson said," Your sins will be forgiven.

 Three new books say animals have souls, go to heaven.

Robert Service: 

Repentance

"If you repent," the Parson said," 
Your sins will be forgiven. 
Aye, even on your dying bed 
You're not too late for heaven."  

That's just my cup of tea, I thought, 
Though for my sins I sorrow; 
Since salvation is easy bought 
I will repent... to-morrow.  

To-morrow and to-morrow went, 
But though my youth was flying, 
I was reluctant to repent, 
having no fear of dying.  

'Tis plain, I mused, the more I sin, 
(To Satan's jubilation) 
When I repent the more I'll win 
Celestial approbation.  

So still I sin, and though I fail 
To get snow-whitely shriven, 
My timing's good: I home to hail 
The last bus up to heaven. http://bryantmcgill.com/wiki/poetry/robert_service/repentance

No comments:

Post a Comment